Tarmac is an ideal material when you need a a durable, hard-wearing surface. It is especially suitable where there is heavy vehicle use such as driveways, farm lanes, car parks, private roads, footpaths, yards etc. Advantages include:
- Cost effective. Cheaper than most other solid surfaces to produce.
- Very little down time where the driveway cannot be used. Typically when all the preparation has been done the Tarmac application is done in a day and we would only require that you stay off of the surface for approx a 12 hour period before full use can be made of the surface.
- Hard wearing. A solid finish so no problems like a gravel drive and a much easier surface to keep clean.
- Low maintenance. Very little work required to maintain the finish. For more information download our Tarmac Aftercare leaflet.
Tarmac is a hot-applied durable, affordable, long lasting/ hard wearing surface which is available in various finishes and colours depending on the requirements of the area and the aesthetics required. It contains either hard stone, limestone or SMA (Stone Mastic Asphalt). All three are used in driveway and road construction applications. SMA tarmac is used in heavily trafficked areas and is suitable for some driveway applications where the driveway is steep or a smaller area which has to cope with vehicles frequently turning on it. It contains mastic bitumen and fibre increasing its durability.
Finishes can be supplied in different sizes:
- 6mm and 10mm Tarmac surfaces are classed as wearing coat or Top coat Surfaces.
- 14mm and 20mm Tarmac surfaces are classed as binder coat or Base coat Tarmac.